Schumacher sees funny side after losing wheel in Q1



Michael Schumacher's stricken Mercedes is towed away © Getty Images
Enlarge
Michael Schumacher will start from the back of the grid on the 20th anniversary of his grand prix debut through no fault of his own having being rendered a passenger after losing a wheel at the start of Q1.
Schumacher had not completed a timed lap when his right rear wheel detached between turns 7 and 8 on his out lap, his Mercedes spinning into the Armco and out of qualifying. It is not the first time Schumacher has been left with three wheels at Spa, the German cheekily recalling his infamous incident with David Coulthard back in 1998.
"Well, obviously I would have wished for a different end to today's qualifying, but it is difficult to drive on three wheels - even if I should have the experience to do so in Spa," said Schumacher. "Seriously, this is certainly something that should not occur, but then this is also Formula One; we are working at the highest level but still things can happen.

"At first, I wasn't sure what had happened, as I just felt myself lose the back end suddenly which is why I instantly apologised to the team. But then I saw the wheel off the car and understood the reason why I had lost control. Trying to find the good in the bad, I'd probably say that I still have some fresh sets of tyres left, and that there is only one direction to go tomorrow: forward."
It was not all bad news for Mercedes as Nico Rosberg will start from 5th on the grid for Sunday's race.
"The team really got it right with the strategy, and everything that we did worked out well today," said Rosberg. "I'm confident for a good result tomorrow as we set the car up with the race conditions in mind, and the car has also been working well in all conditions."

ESPNF1



Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.