Rummenigge: 'I love Manuel Neuer' & Reactions from other Bayern München players (English Version)



Madrid - FC Bayern Munich put on quite a spectacle in their thrilling Champions League semi-final second leg against Real Madrid. Fortunately for die Münchner, they came out on the right end of a 3-1 result in the penalty shootout to retain their hopes of winning Europe's most coveted trophy in the "Finale dahoam" at the Allianz Arena on May 19th. bundesliga.de rounds up all the reactions from a memorable evening at the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu.


Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (FC Bayern executive director): We're absolutely delighted and incredibly proud. The team have earned themselves a huge compliment, what they've achieved is exceptional. This was football of the highest calibre. That was the most intense and emotional match I've ever experienced at FC Bayern. Encounters like this deserve to go down in football history. I love Manuel Neuer, not just because of his two penalty saves, but because he's absolutely outstanding. Real Madrid's president just told me that he thinks he's the best goalkeeper in the world. 

Uli Hoeneß (FC Bayern president): When Lahm missed his spot-kick I thought I was going to die. Incredible. That was the game of all games. When Real went 2-0 up I was already worried about what I was going to do with the final tickets, which I had organised for my friends and family. It's definitely turned out to be a great season.

Jupp Heynckes (FC Bayern head coach): That was a magical night. We had a tremendous amount of problems in the first 15 minutes. After that we played outstanding football for long stretches in the match. We've proven once again that we've got a remarkable team. 

Christian Nerlinger (FC Bayern sporting director): This has been a historic evening that will live long in the memory. We've set yet another milestone. Our fighting spirit was far superior and at the very least we matched them in terms of the football we played. Manuel Neuer was a pillar of strength at the back. It was his actions, especially during the penalty shootout, that secured us a place in the final. I'm really pleased for him. The final will be an unbelievable event. Chelsea knocked out Barcelona so the odds are still at 50-50, but we've engineered ourselves a terrific situation.

Joachim Löw (German national team head coach): Tonight's result is simply super for German football. This isn't just a great achievement for Bayern fans, but for football fans all across Germany because it inspires the whole league. If a team are 2-0 behind to Real Madrid and then fight back to establish a grip on the game, that's incredibly impressive. Bayern shouldn't underestimate Chelsea even though they've come through spectacularly against Madrid. After all, the Blues did knock out Barcelona. For me there is no clear favourite. Nuances are often what decide who wins in a final. 

Bastian Schweinsteiger: Although we're all dead on our feet, we're absolutely over the moon. Since it was announced that the final would be in Munich we've all had one goal in our minds - to get there! We've got one more game at home before that though and we're determined to win it.

Manuel Neuer: We're all heroes. We all worked extremely hard to get where we are. We were on their level, at the very least, throughout both matches and deservedly won in the end. I really wanted to save the penalties. Luck definitely played its' part as well. It's nice to be in two finals because it means that this season hasn't been ruined. 

Philipp Lahm: It was astounding how we turned the game around. It has sparked huge joy and relief. Of course we want to win the title. Manuel Neuer is one of the best, if not the best, goalkeeper in the world. What he's able to save is sensational at times. 

David Alaba: The head coach and the assistants asked me whether I wanted to take the opening penalty. I told them: "That works, I'll just shoot the first one". I'm very thankful to God that he gave me the strength to be successful with my spot-kick. 

Franck Ribery: Incredible. Before the season started everyone thought that Barcelona and Real would get to the final. The final won't be easy, but we'll give it everything we've got. It will be the game of my life. Manuel Neuer was ridiculous. 

Mario Gomez: It's a dream come true. There's nothing I can say, I'm completely overwhelmed. To progress surrounded by this atmosphere, in a penalty shootout - there's nothing better.
source:http://www.bundesliga.de/en/liga/news/2011/0000210926.php

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.