I could have gone faster - Vettel


Sebastian Vettel: "I think the circuit ramped up in the end a little bit and I think it was possible to go faster" © Sutton Images
Enlarge
Sebastian Vettel reckons he could have gone even quicker during qualifying for the Singapore Grand Prix, despite taking pole position by 0.351s from Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber.
He set his best time on his first timed lap in Q3 and decided to abort his second attempt after a minor mistake at turn 10. His two closest rivals improved on their second run - although not enough to trouble Vettel - and the reigning world champion reckons he could have gone even faster if he had hooked up a clean lap.
"On the last run I tried maybe a little bit too much going into this really tricky chicane around turn 10 and then I think I could have made it but I decided to abort because it's very easy to damage the car if you go wide. I was quite happy with my first lap, I think the circuit ramped up in the end a little bit and I think it was possible to go faster, but all in all a perfect session and I'm very happy, especially around here. It's a very fun track but a big challenge, with many corners and to get everything together."

Last year Vettel missed out on a victory in Singapore after qualifying behind Fernando Alonso who held him off throughout the race. Vettel said the team had learnt from its mistakes last year When he got caught in traffic on his first run in Q3 and clipped the wall on his second run.
"I think we've learned, especially from the mistakes we made last year qualifying and kept our heads cool and did it today," he said. "We have both cars on the front row so let's see tomorrow; it's a very, very long race."

ESPNF1


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.