Manchester United – Goalkeeper target Manuel Neuer confirms desire to stay at Shalke

Manchester United’s search for a replacement goalkeeper for Edwin Van der Sar will have to widen after star Schalke goalie Manuel Neuer told reporters he will not be leaving Germany.

United were reportedly interested in signing the keeper, who has taken Schalke to the quarter finals of the Champions League this season.

While news broke of Neuer heading to England in the summer, the 24 year old quashed rumours it might be to talk to Manchester United about a possible future.

“I get the chance to travel abroad twice a year, during the summer holiday and again in the winter holiday,” Neuer said.

“Is it crucial for a player to play abroad at one point? Some players seem to think so, but I disagree.
“I can’t choose between loyalty toward Schalke and winning trophies elsewhere. You have to think about yourself at some point.

The most important things are being happy and successful.

“I want to win the Bundesliga at least once in my career. I’m a German international and I play in the Bundesliga. I really want to win our biggest national trophy.”

Neuer’s comments close the door on Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson being able to broker a deal with the star goalkeeper whose contract runs out with Schalke in 2012.

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.